Re: understanding replication

--On Tuesday, March 02, 2010 1:49 PM -0500 Aaron Richton <richton@nbcs.rutgers.edu> wrote:

I'm guessing the rid is a random chosen id number for the secondary
server (consumer?) that is used to compare the master db (entryuuid?)
for context? information that indicates sync state?

rid is chosen by administrator (i.e. manually configured). I honestly
forget what it's used for nowadays...I vaguely remember "nothing" and/or
"it's only important for multimaster." I'm certain this is in the
archives of openldap-software and/or openldap-devel, but I'll leave the
search to you.

The RID value is a unique number in a given replica used to specifically identify that particular syncrepl statement. It really only matters if you have multiple syncrepl statements in a given slapd configuration for a replica. For me, since I only replicate from a single master, I use the same RID value on all my replicas.

With MMR, there is also the SID, which may be the other part you are thinking of, but if you aren't using MMR, it doesn't apply.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer