Less aggressive syncrepl ?

Hello list,

openldap-2.3.41
db-4.2.52.NC-PLUS_5_PATCHES
SunOS ldapmaster01.unix 5.10 Generic_127128-11 i86pc i386 i86pc

We currently have 1 master, and about 25 clients hanging off it, using syncrepl. Today we restarted the master for the first time in quite some time. This was to add an index we had forgotten. It was only added to the master.

Initially, the master replies very fast to test-ldapsearch.

But it appears that all 25 clients connect within the first 30seconds or so, and start the syncing process. This appears to take about 30 minutes of communicating back and forth. (As observed with snoop/tcpdump).

Simple commandline ldapsearch connect, but never replies. I haven't even started the software that talks to ldapmaster, so it is essentially doing nothing. (Just checking everything is in sync, there should be no changes).

This seems rather aggressive. I assume my syncrepl is set far too eagerly. Normally, syncrepl works beautifully, and updates are very fast across the board. But having hour long no-response from the master after a restart is undesirable.

Can someone suggest better values for our syncrepl?

Master has:

lastmod         on
checkpoint 128 15
cachesize 10000
overlay syncprov
syncprov-checkpoint 100 10
syncprov-sessionlog 100

Slaves has: (RID is based on IP's last octet + 256)

lastmod         on
checkpoint 128 15
cachesize 10000
syncrepl   rid=279
                provider=ldap://172.20.12.113
                type=refreshAndPersist
                interval=00:00:00:30
                searchbase="dc=company,dc=com"
                filter="(objectClass=*)"
                attrs="*"
                scope=sub
                schemachecking=off
                updatedn="cn=admin,dc=company,dc=com"
                bindmethod=simple
                binddn="cn=admin,dc=company,dc=com"
                credentials="OurSecret"
                retry="60 10 300 +"

# wait 60s then retry connect 10 times, then wait 300s forever
updateref       ldap://172.20.12.113

--
Jorgen Lundman       | <lundman@lundman.net>
Unix Administrator   | +81 (0)3 -5456-2687 ext 1017 (work)