From: openldap-software-bounces+tomryan=camlaw.rutgers.edu@openldap.org on behalf of Aaron Richton
Sent: Tue 2/2/2010 5:40 PM
To: Tim Mooney
Cc: openldap-software@openldap.org
Subject: Re: simple bind with external Kerberos V password store

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, Tim Mooney wrote:

> grep'ing the source for '{KERBEROS}', the only place that shows up is
> in contrib/slapd-modules/passwd/kerberos.c.
> [...]
> I understand the warning at the end of the section in the admin guide,
> that using a krb5 KDC as a fancy network-based password checking database
> is not Kerberos at all, and that if we go this route we'll want to make
> certain that at a minimum binds are done over TLS.

Well, the second paragraph is the important one, so with that incorporated
on the record...

The more common way to do this nowadays is via the {SPASSWD} SASL simple
bind integration. Some broad steps to go that route:

1. Compile saslauthd to interface with your existing KDC. Generally the
included SASL mechs will work. However, on my servers, I make things even
uglier than usual by not even dealing with the tickets for simple binds.
To do this we have our own mech in saslauthd. If you're interested start
with:

http://cvs.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/trunk/SPECS/cyrus-sasl.spec
http://cvs.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/trunk/source-patches/sasl-rukrb5-source.patch
http://cvs.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/trunk/source-patches/sasl-rukrb5-support.patch

2. If you're using our mech, configure your krb5.conf, and
Cyrus's slapd.conf should have "pwcheck_method:saslauthd" -- then start
"saslauthd -a rukrb5".

3. Regardless of your mech,
   testsaslauthd -s slapd -r REALM.EXAMPLE.COM -u uid -p secret
should return success.

4. OK, now it's time for OpenLDAP. Grab Buchan's packages (or something
based off them); you can steal a 2.4.21 incarnation of those from
koji.rutgers.edu if you want. (I don't know if he got to 2.4.21 yet.) The
important part here is making sure that --enable-spasswd is there.

5. Install OpenLDAP. Add an entry with:

   userPassword: {SASL}uid@REALM.EXAMPLE.COM

and try to bind. Turn up saslauthd and/or slapd debugging if there are
issues.