Re: openldap logging setup as a non-root user

Please keep replies on the list.

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010, Konstantinos Tripolitis wrote:

Thank you very much for your quick input! You've been most helpful.

"slapd -d 256 > logfile 2>&1 &" does work, but I do not get timestamps:
Any idea/suggestion on how I can get timestamps as well?

The timestamps are added by the syslog daemon, not by slapd. To imitate that functionality with a flat file, you'd have to write a program that prepends them, and change the redirection operator to a pipe.

Again, IMO, you'd be much better off just using syslog in the first place...a lot of features like these are all completely solved in the common syslog implementations.