Re: custom auth

> rootdn          "cn=admin,ou=users,dc=mail"
>
> access to attrs=userPassword
>        by anonymous auth
>        by * none
>
> How do I tell OpenLDAP to authenticate against cn=<login>,ou=users,dc=mail
> and its userPassword attribute?

You don't.  You've got the wording a bit wrong. :-) Your configuration
will allow an LDAP client to authenticate against this OpenLDAP instance
with a user defined in your directory. Supposing you have an entry

        dn: cn=mta,ou=users,dc=mail
        cn: mta
        userPassword: <something>
        objectclass: person
        sn: mta

What you probably want to do is to tell your LDAP client (your MTA?) to
bind to OpenLDAP as "cn=mta,ou=users,dc=mail" with that entry's
password.

        -JP