Re: Troubleshooting synchronization

Hi Dieter!

> The answer is quite simple: do not use multimaster replication in a
> production environment. In most cases the requirement for multimaster
> replication is just based on poor directory design.

If this is a "do not use feature", for what reason has it been included
in the software, in the first place.

> Slapd in a synchronized environment is, with a few exceptions which
> have only been fixed recently, rock stable, I know of environments
> with up to 150 consumers.

When you say "synchronized", do you mean one master and n slaves?

When you say, the requirement for N-way multi-master is usually poor
directory design, I wonder if I am suffering from a misconception here,
i.e. mixing up N-way multi-master and mirror mode possibly.

What we want to achieve is a HA solution where *all* directory data is
stored on more than one physical machine. I know I can do that by having
a master and a slave. But then I would need to have a mechanism entirely
external to slapd that if the master fails I turn the slave into a
master and vice versa. (However this could be reliably achieved.)

So the idea for N-way multi-master was just: I can point the DNS entry
to whatever server in my cluster (possibly there may be more than two)
and it will be a writeable directory and I won't ever loose any
information I write into that LDAP cloud.

Regards,
Torsten