running slapcat on a live openldap installation?

I have two totally separate openldap 2.4 installations, both are live. One is at work (roark) and the other is at home (missioncontrol).

On the one on roark when I run slapcat it errors, why is that?:

[root@roark ~]# slapcat -v -l /root/backup.ldif -b "dc=mdah,dc=state,dc=ms,dc=us" bdb_db_open: database "dc=mdah,dc=state,dc=ms,dc=us": unclean shutdown detected; attempting recovery. bdb_db_open: database "dc=mdah,dc=state,dc=ms,dc=us": recovery skipped in read-only mode. Run manual recovery if errors are encountered.
bdb_db_open: database "dc=mdah,dc=state,dc=ms,dc=us": alock_recover failed
bdb_db_close: database "dc=mdah,dc=state,dc=ms,dc=us": alock_close failed
backend_startup_one: bi_db_open failed! (-1)
slap_startup failed

however, it runs fine on missioncontrol:

[root@missioncontrol ~]# slapcat -v -l /root/backup.ldif -b "dc=squeezer,dc=net" bdb_monitor_db_open: monitoring disabled; configure monitor database to enable
# id=00000001
# id=00000002
# id=00000003
# id=00000004
# id=00000005
# id=00000006
# id=00000007
# id=00000008
# id=00000009
# id=0000000a
# id=0000000b
# id=0000000c
# id=0000000d
# id=0000000e
# id=0000000f
# id=00000010
# id=00000011
# id=00000012
# id=00000013
# id=00000014
# id=00000015
# id=00000016
# id=00000017
# id=00000018
# id=00000019
# id=0000001a
# id=0000001b
# id=0000001c
# id=0000001d
# id=0000001e
# id=0000001f
# id=00000020
# id=00000021
# id=00000022
# id=00000023
# id=00000024
# id=00000025
# id=00000026
# id=00000027
# id=00000028

both systems have the same configuration other then one is dc=squeezer,dc=net, and the other is dc=mdah,dc=state,dc=ms,dc=us. but other then that, their slapd.conf's are the same. On roark, I can get a slapcat-like dump with:

ldapsearch -v -x -h roark.mdah.state.ms.us -D "cn=Manager,dc=mdah,dc=state,dc=ms,dc=us" -w xxxxxxxxx + "*"

but I'd also like to have a slapcat dump as a secondary backup.