Re: slow slapadd?

On Sunday 17 May 2009 11:31:40 Oskar Pearson wrote:
> Hi Diego
>
> On 15 May 2009, at 20:54, Diego Figueroa wrote:
> > Thanks for your input Quanah,
> >
> > I also just noticed that top is reporting 50-90% I/O waiting times.
> > I might have to look at my disks to further improve things.

The fact that the disks can't keep up doesn't always mean you need faster
disks ... it may mean you need to reduce the number of writes you are doing to
them.

> You could also try fiddle with the DB_TXN_WRITE_NOSYNC and
> DB_TXN_NOSYNC flags. I've not done that, and you'd have to be 100%
> sure that once your db goes live, this flag is then turned off or you
> disk disaster if your db server reboots. I wonder if it's possible for
> slapadd to turn these on automatically for the load process (perhaps
> it already does - I'm ignorant on that fact, unfortunately).

The -q flag to slapadd disables transactions, so it's best not to fool around
with these flags (as you risk leaving them in after the import).

Regards,
Buchan