Re: OpenLDAP stable on FreeBSD (WAS: core dump with interactive password)

--On Friday, March 20, 2009 1:57 PM +0100 Thierry Lacoste <lacoste@miage.univ-paris12.fr> wrote:

Quoting Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@zimbra.com>:

--On Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:42 PM +0100
lacoste@miage.univ-paris12.fr wrote:

I'm using openldap 2.4.15 on FreeBSD 6.4

ldapsearch with the -W switch gives me the expected output but ends with
ldapsearch in free(): error: junk pointer, too high to make sense
Abort trap: 6 (core dumped)

ldapsearch with the -w switch does not core dump

This was already reported in an ITS, and will be fixed with 2.4.16.

--Quanah

Thanks a lot.

This raises an alarm: maybe I should stick with 2.4.11 for production
as it is recommended on the OpenLDAP web site, which in turn raises
a question addressed to FreeBSD users (sorry if I'm a bit OT).

How can I use ports to build OpenLDAP 2.4.11 (currently the ports tree
contains 2.4.15)? Should I build it manually, loosing the benefits of
ports?

Also, OpenLDAP 2.4.15 in the FreeBSD ports tree is built
with BDB 4.6.21 with only the first 3 of the 4 recommended patches.

I'd very much like to have feedback (maybe off list) about those
issues when running a critical OpenLDAP server on FreeBSD.

I would just run 2.4.15 with the patches from CVS for this issue. 2.4.16 will be out fairly soon, and it will be the next stable release. There have been major important fixes for 2.4.11, and going from 2.4.11 to later releases can require a database reload.

<http://www.openldap.org/devel/cvsweb.cgi/clients/tools/common.c.diff?r1=1.78.2.20&r2=1.78.2.21&hideattic=1&sortbydate=0&f=h>

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount