Re: OpenLDAP and DNS SRV records

Buchan Milne wrote:

The man page says: "if no host/port is specified, but a DN is...".  It
means that:

- you must provide a(n RFC 45) LDAP URI

- it must contain no host/port

- it must contain a DN

yours is not a LDAP URI.  Try something like "ldap:///dc=domain,dc=com";.

The 2.4 client tools have been modified to support this feature.
However, they use libldap to perform this.  See clients/tools/common.c,
the calls to ldap_dn2domain(3) and ldap_domain2hostlist(3) calls (I
don't think they actually have a man page...).  Those calls are
available in libldap since 2.0, I believe, in 2000.

Is there a reason this isn't implemented in the library? As far as I understand, at present only the OpenLDAP utilities will work with this URI, while if it were implemented in the library, other LDAP clients using the OpenLDAP library which don't already support a similar feature (sudo is the best example I can think of in this case, though various other desktop software could benefit) would get it for free?

Because. If this is considered useful, we can move it to the library, of course. Please file an ITS.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati OpenLDAP Core Team

SysNet s.r.l.
via Dossi, 8 - 27100 Pavia - ITALIA
http://www.sys-net.it
Office:  +39 02 23998309