Re: unique_uri strict ?

Andrew Findlay wrote:
On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 03:57:35PM +0000, Gavin Henry wrote:

unique_uri "<[strict ][ignore ]URI[URI...]...>"
Well, the <> clearly indicates it's a single argument. Maybe an example, or a remark, would help not overlooking it.
That's fine then. I just misread that syntax. Leave as is.

Hmm - I think the syntax is sufficiently unusual that an example and note would save a lot of confusion.

I am also wondering what happens when the URI itself would need
quoting when used alone - e.g. a URI with spaces in it. Do we need
to put quoted quotes inside the overall quotes, or is the one set
enough?

Well, this problem appears ever since in OpenLDAP. In ldap_initialize(), for example, and in back-ldap/beck-meta's URI directive. In those cases the problem is solved by requiring URL-escaping spaces (%20), which is the correct answer, although horribly unreadable (DNs already have their quirks, adding URL ones on top of them makes things worse).

If I were to redesign back-ldap/meta now, I'd use separate args for the URI list...

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati OpenLDAP Core Team

SysNet s.r.l.
via Dossi, 8 - 27100 Pavia - ITALIA
http://www.sys-net.it
Office:  +39 02 23998309