problems with exporting/iimporting passwords

Hi everybody,
we are installing a new ldap-server, because we need a new structure.
so a simple export/import via slapcat/slapadd is not possible, because we need to change the object structure.
I wrote a bash shell-script (we are working under suse), which exports the user datas via ldapsearch, builds
the new objects and saves it in ldif-format. then I import the ldif-file via ldap-add in the new ldap-server.

but when I want to import the ldif-file, ldapadd complains about 50 users (from 900 total), that they woud have an invalid format -  the lines, which are invalid are always the userPassword-lines of this user.

I tried already to extract this lines with slapcat, copied the extracted lines into my ldif-file, but still the same error.

Is there any other way to export/import the password ? can it be a char-set problem ? I really dont know anymore,
what else I could do.....

thanks

gizmo