Re: delta-syncrepl problems with 2.4.12

Michael Ströder wrote:
John Morrissey wrote:
On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 02:18:10PM -0800, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Tuesday, November 11, 2008 4:35 PM -0500 John Morrissey
<jwm@horde.net>  wrote:
Instead of slapcat(8)/slapadd(8)ding the old databases, we're removing
the existing databases and allowing slapd(8) to delta-syncrepl a copy
from scratch. Ironing out this use case is especially important for us
since we expect to be adding a number of consumers in the coming months
and would obviously prefer to bring them online without having to shut
down any other slapd instances for slapcat(8)ting.
Why would you have to shut down a server to slapcat it?  Hot slapcatting
has been supported for a long time.
Right, slapcat's man page indicates it's always safe to run against the bdb
backend, but I suspect that's referring more to read concurrency and not
necessarily the generation of a consistent, point-in-time snapshot of the
database.

Consistency is preserved at entry level. If there is consistency needed across several related entry this cannot be guaranteed with pure LDAPv3.

That's not relevant here. Syncrepl guarantees eventual convergence.

--
  -- Howard Chu