Re: delta-syncrepl problems with 2.4.12

--On November 12, 2008 1:38:48 PM -0800 Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:
Empirically, slapcat output does not have a consistent view of the
database while dumping it. Specifically, when slapcat is running and one
changes an entry that hasn't been dumped yet, that change will appear in
slapcat's output. Using slapadd's -w option would definitely be unsafe
in this situation.

The -w option is only meant to be used when your LDIF does not already contain contextCSN values. There's no need to use it otherwise, and as you note, it would be detrimental in this case.

As a side note to your question about slapcat & it's state, I'll note I filed a bug about this specifically for delta-syncrepl, which was addressed in the 2.3 series (2.3.42). The point is that delta-syncrepl has been adjusted to accommodate the fact that the slapcat from a hot server may not be entirely consistent between start and finish.

<http://www.openldap.org/its/index.cgi/?findid=5378>

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount