ASN.1 BER tag that is corrupt

Hi People, I'm getting mad with this problem for one very special application we need to keep the support of openldap 1.2.11 we are migrating this applications to virtual servers
 2.6.18-92.el5xen #1 SMP Tue Jun 10 19:20:18 EDT 2008 x86_64

We compile the source code for this version of openldap we build the binaries, until here looks ok.
however when we try to search in the directory any directory with different releases we got this message in the server side:

Client request contains an ASN.1 BER tag that is corrupt or connection aborted

Does anybody know the reason for this error ??
the binaries look ok and the compilation process looks clean except for some modifications
that we did at the ltconfig file to specify the host with i686.

Any clue it would be greatly appreciate it I'm running out of ideas with this issue