openldap 2.4.11 and test018

I have been driving myself nuts today.  I'm attempting to move to using DB 4.6.21 (plus the three patches) and have discovered (probably re-discovered) that building the backends as modules and then attempting to run "make tests" causes test018 to fail because  bdb-mod can't resolve ldap_modify_ext.

I can't find anything documented concerning this (README, INSTALL documents, FAQ, google search).  But if I remove "--enable-modules" from the configure options, test018 runs just fine.

Am I really this unique or have I missed some prominent statement that backend modules can not be tested?

If it matters, I'm compiling on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.2 (Tikanga).