Re: syncrepl with hardware content switch

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 9:54 PM, Brett @Google <brett.maxfield@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was just wondering how other people are dealing with this issue and
> thier content switches.

At $workplace, we use a Cisco CSM. It allows the network guy to
administratively take a node (RIP) out of service even if the CSM
would normally send traffic to it. This allows me to either bring up a
new node and let it sync or to debug a problem with a specific node
while slapd is still running and accepting connections.

Whenever I need to do maintainence on one of the nodes, the network
guy is able to take the RIP out of service and clear the connections
to it so that all clients will immediately reconnect to the VIP and
land on one of the other nodes.

So far, this approach works for us. We've been using it since we
deployed OpenLDAP about 2 years ago.

--
HTH, YMMV, HANW :)

Jason

The path to enlightenment is /usr/bin/enlightenment.