Re: Error during ./configure

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Philip Gabrielsen wrote:
> I get an error i can't get away from, when running ./configure
>
> Error i get:
> philip@zimba:/usr/local/openldap-2.4.11$ ./configure
> Configuring OpenLDAP 2.4.11-Release ...
> checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1
> checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1
> checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1

Whoa, really?  This is a Linux system that hasn't been updated since the
1990's?  Or do you have some cross-compilation tools installed in your
path?

If it really is that old, then your first step needs to be "upgrade to a
newer Linux distribution".  Such an old system does not have correct
thread support.

> checking for gcc... /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.0.3/cc1

This is bogus: cc1 is not a C compiler, but rather just _part_ of a C
compiler.  It's normally invokved by the compilation driver program, 'gcc'
or 'cc'.  The errors after that stem from that incorrect choice, as cc1
doesn't take the same arguments as cc or gcc and only generates assembler
output and not object files.

If I'm reading the configure script correctly, then the ac_ct_CC
environment variable is somehow being set to that value, which would be
wrong.  What's the output of
	env | grep ^ac
and
	echo $PATH
?

> I run this as root....

<falls over>

Gah!  Don't!  You should only run stuff as root when you have a specific
reason to do so!  Didn't you see all those "don't do stuff as root"
statements in any of the docs you read when you set this system up?  If
not, then you need to go read some UNIX/Linux administration books, ASAP.

Philip Guenther