delta-syncrepl only replicates some data (attempting N-way master)

When I add a user to one of my test openldap systems (2.4.9), some but
not all, of that user's attributes are propagated.

The big obvious one is userPassword.  When I play around with the
settings I have been able to figure out that the only attributes being
migrated are ones which are visible to anon binds.  This doesn't make
any sense to me.  When I do an ldapsearch as the user I setup for
syncrepl I can see everything in the user's ldif as well as in
cn=accesslog.

The sync user can see the attributes, and I haven't limited what
syncrepl will pull down.... any guesses as to what I have overlooked?

Pat

-----------------------------
syncprov-checkpoint 100 10
syncprov-sessionlog 200
syncprov-nopresent TRUE
syncprov-reloadhint TRUE

# <snip>

serverID 2

syncrepl rid=1
         provider=ldaps://testldap1.iwu.edu/
         searchbase="dc=testldap,dc=iwu,dc=edu"
         scope=sub
         type=refreshAndPersist
         interval=00:00:00:30
         retry="15 +"
         timeout=1
         bindmethod=simple
#         starttls=critical
         tls_cert=/etc/ldap/ssl/testldap.iwu.edu.crt
         tls_key=/etc/ldap/ssl/testldap_privkey.key
         tls_cacert=/etc/ldap/ssl/IWU.crt
         tls_reqcert=demand
         tls_crlcheck=none
         binddn="cn=syncrepl,dc=testldap,dc=iwu,dc=edu"
         credentials=please
         schemachecking=off
         syncdata=accesslog
         logbase="cn=accesslog"
         logfilter="(&(objectClass=auditWriteObject)(reqResult=0))"

mirrormode on