From: Buchan Milne [mailto:bgmilne@staff.telkomsa.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:27 PM
To: Worgan, Craig (BVW:9T16)
Cc: openldap-software@openldap.org
Subject: Re: BDB 4.3 instability

On Tuesday 29 July 2008 17:55:45 Craig Worgan wrote:
> Howard,
>
> I am running OpenLDAP on a paired down version of RHEL5.1.  We build
> OpenLDAP and roll our own RPM due to our requirement for the PPOLICY
> module and our desire to be able to pick up different OpenLDAP
> versions for new features and bug fixes.

This is a valid argument to run a version of OpenLDAP other than Red Hat
supplies, however it is not necessarily an argument for building your
own from source manually. You could consider using the binaries I
provide:

http://staff.telkomsa.net/packages/rhel5/openldap/

Or, you could rebuild the SRPM I provide:
http://staff.telkomsa.net/packages/SRPMS/openldap/openldap2.3-2.3.42-1.r
hel4es.src.rpm

(I'm not sure what happened to the 2.3.43 package, I'll track it down
tomorrow, but the same content exists as
openldap2.3-2.3.43-1mdv2009.0.src.rpm
on any Mandriva mirror).

> Yesterday I tried building 2.4 due to
> your recommendation from another post, and got the following build
> error:
>
> checking for Berkeley DB major version... 4 checking for Berkeley DB
> minor version... 3 checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb-4.3)... yes
> checking for Berkeley DB version match... yes checking for Berkeley DB

> thread support... yes checking Berkeley DB version for BDB/HDB
> backends... no
> configure: error: BDB/HDB: BerkeleyDB version incompatible
>
> During my investigation I discovered the FAQ about BBD 4.3 being
> unstable.  I took this information to my platform/base team and we
> discussed upgrading the library for all of our apps, as it's a
> commonly used shared library.

It is not necessary to use the same version of the library across all
the applications that require a version of the library. You will notice
that Red Hat doesn't do so, nor do I.

If you want the details, look at the spec file:

http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-
bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/openldap2.3/current/SPECS/openldap2.3.spe
c?view=log

(beware line-breaks, I need to file a bug on kmail in kde 4.1.0 ...)

> They want to bring this info to RedHat and they asked me to dig into
> the statement that BDB 4.3 is unstable.

In my experience in dealing with Red Hat (considering that OpenLDAP is
not AFAIK on the list of supported services on RHEL, compared to say
squid or samba), you're wasting your time.

> I do appreciate the help and didn't intend it to come across
otherwise.

But, I have attempted to point you to real solutions to your problem
that are available immediately, without logging a ticket with Red Hat,
explaining to 3 clueless support agents the whole issue and why they
can't just fob it off, until you have the chance to speak to someone,
who will tell you that what you are trying to do is unsupported anyway,
without them having been able to ask anyone in engineering (who are the
only people who could provide you with the real answer, which is most
likely going to be "why do you want a supported database library for an
unsupported package, which you have built yourself anyway" or similar.

I started building my own packages of OpenLDAP for RHEL 2.1 AS, and I
don't have any plans to stop for RHEL5, maybe RHEL 6 will eventually
allow me to stop. Considering that we have all the support we need from
Red Hat, and why I would do this ...

Regards,
Buchan