Re: syncrepl failure logs/configuring alias deref

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 14:23 -0700, Paul B. Henson wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008, Howard Chu wrote:
>
> > Just adding "packets" to your debug level would have given you readable
> > packet logs, without having to compromise security by disabling TLS.
>
> I actually had all debugging enabled, which was perhaps was too much and
> resulted in my missing that information.
>
> > If you want suggestions to actually get acted on, submit an ITS.
>
> Done.
>
> > > There appears to be three ways to define configuration: the global
> > > configuration file, a configuration file in the home directory, or an
> > > environment variable.
> >
> > Re-read ldap.conf(5). There are other choices as well.
>
> The only other choice I see is an "ldaprc" file in the current working
> directory, which also will not work for me because both slapd and the
> automounter process both have a working directory of /. Is there a fourth
> option I missed? As I said, ideally I would like a configuration mechanism
> that does not require me to change bits of the operating system (such as
> /etc/init.d/slapd).

You don't specify what operating system it is, but many Linux
distributions source something like /etc/sysconfig/ldap
or /etc/default/slapd into the init script, so adding an:

export LDAPCONF=/etc/openldap/slapd-ldap.conf

or similar to such a file should do the trick (depending on the OS and
the shell interpreter invoked by the init script etc. etc.).

Regards,
Buchan