Can't add, delete or modify entries

I can no longer add, delete or modify existing entries.  For all intents and purposes, this an all-of-the-sudden it quit working.  Actually it's my test environment and it's where I point to when I'm developing code that reads/writes to LDAP.  The machine hung about a week ago and it actually had to be power cycled to get it back but since I haven't actually accessed that server in several weeks, I don't know if the problem is related to the server problem.

I couldn't find any reason so I shut the OpenLDAP down, used slapcat to dump the whole database and then I removed everything but the DB_CONFIG file and all the files under /var/log/ldap.  I used slapadd (as the ldap user) to rebuild the database and thn started up OpenLDAP again.  No difference.  Slapadd put everything back, but I can't can't add, delete or modify.

I m running OpenLDAP v.3.2.7 and Fedora Core 6.  Fortunately this is not the production server so I've got room to play.  Any ideas about what I need to play with?

Thanks,

Rob Tanner
Linfield College