From: openldap-software-bounces+kblaney=nortel.com@openldap.org
[mailto:openldap-software-bounces+kblaney=nortel.com@openldap.org] On
Behalf Of Howard Chu
Sent: May 28, 2008 1:30 PM
To: Blaney, Kyle (BVW:9T16)
Cc: openldap-software@openldap.org
Subject: Re: Limit slapd memory usage on Windows?

Kyle Blaney wrote:
> Is there a way to limit slapd's memory usage on Windows?  I ask
> because we want to use OpenLDAP on memory-constrained systems. We're
> having performance problems that occur when other applications start
> and they need the memory used by slapd. A lot of page-swapping occurs
> and performance suffers as a result.

It might help to build it with an alternate malloc library, instead of
using the default MSVCRT version.

In general, trying to tune anything on Windows is like trying to carve
water with a toothpick. The Windows memory manager basically does
whatever it wants, regardless. Note also that on the exact same
hardware, OpenLDAP on Linux is typically 2-3x faster than OpenLDAP on
Windows. Running a critical service on Windows is just a waste of time.

--
   -- Howard Chu