--enable-bdb=no not working?

I'm trying to install openldap on ubuntu. The reason is because we have multiple servers and would like to use ldap to reduce the userid management. I am already running mysql, so I thought I would use the existing db instead of installing bdb also.

I tried using "apt-get install slapd", but I think that comes compiled without --enable-sql=yes because when I try to start it up I get "Unrecognized database type (sql)".

So I downloaded version 2.4.9 to build it manually. I tried running "./configure --enable-bdb=no --enable-sql=yes", but that gives me the error message "configure: error: BDB/HDB: BerkeleyDB not available". I don't understand why I would get this message if I set --enable-bdb=no.

Am I not including all the right configuration parameters?