Re: OpenLDAP as proxy for another LDAP-Server

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 11:58:28AM -0600, Philip Guenther wrote:

> How about by using saslauthd?  Configure the users that need pass-through
> authentication with userPassword values in the form "{SASL}user@domain",
> put "pwcheck_method: saslauthd" in the sasl/slapd.conf file, and configure
> saslauthd to authenticate against the backend server.  That gives you both
> complete control over who gets passed through (only those with the {SASL}
> format) and complete flexibility in the mapping of frontend users to
> backend users (by tweaking the "user@domain" in each user's userPassword
> attribute).

That does look like the best solution so far, thank you.

Odd that such a useful feature is not mentioned in the docs at all. It
is a bit tricky to set up due to the interactions with Cyrus SASL, but
I now have it running so I will write a section for the Admin Guide
explaining how to do it.

Andrew