No Results from Ldapsearch

I'm running Red Hat Enterprise 5 (x86_64) and Openldap version 2.3.27
from official rpms. I have installed openldap, openldap-devel,
openldap-clients, and openldap-servers.

The following command:

ldapsearch -x -b "dc=example,dc=com" '(uid=jsmith)'

produces the following results:
--
# extended LDIF
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 1
--

If I specify the jsmith user (or any other user) using -D -W, I get the
same results.  If I specify the rootdn user:

ldapsearch -x -D "cn=manager,dc=example,dc=com" -W -b
"dc=example,dc=com" '(uid=jsmith)'

I get the following results:
--
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <dc=example,dc=com> with scope subtree
# filter: (uid=jsmith)
# requesting: ALL
#

# jsmith, users, example.com
dn: uid=jsmith,ou=users,dc=example,dc=com
uid: jsmith
cn: jsmith
homeDirectory: /home/jsmith
uidNumber: xxx
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: shadowAccount
objectClass: person
gidNumber: xxx
gecos: John Smith
sn: Smith
shadowLastChange: xxx
userPassword:: xxx
loginShell: /sbin/nologin

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 2
# numEntries: 1
--

The problem is that I have not disabled annonymous or user access other
than to set ACLs for the userPassword field.  The user jsmith can't

I've tried slapacl and confirmed that annonymous as well as the jsmith
user can read the uid field.  I even tried reindexing using slapindex,
but that didn't work either.

Here is my slapd.conf:
include         /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/samba3.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/qmail.schema
allow bind_v2
pidfile         /var/run/openldap/slapd.pid
argsfile        /var/run/openldap/slapd.args
database        bdb
suffix          "dc=example,dc=com"
rootdn          "cn=manager,dc=example,dc=com"
rootpw          xxx
access to attrs=userPassword
  by anonymous  auth
  by self       write
  by *          none
access to attrs=uid
  by *          read
directory       /var/lib/ldap
index objectClass                       eq,pres
index ou,cn,mail,surname,givenname      eq,pres,sub
index uidNumber,gidNumber,loginShell    eq,pres
index uid,memberUid                     eq,pres,sub
index nisMapName,nisMapEntry            eq,pres,sub

Am I missing something??

Thanks!