Re: Migrating from 2.3 to 2.4 branch.

Quanah,

Thanks for your response.

I don't want to waste your, or the lists time.  The problem I had was
that there were attributes in my slapcat'd ldif file that were not
specified in my new slapd.conf file for 2.4.

For example?

Rather than have you guys hold my hand through each step I'd like to find some documentation as to what changes I can expect to have to make (noting there is a ppolicy and a ppolicy-2.4).

Well, if the docs aren't there, that's my job. We have:

http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/appendix-changes.html

And

http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/appendix-upgrading.html

Needs to have more info in it.

Sounds like the ppolicy variation is a distro packaging issue and nothing to do with OpenLDAP.

The other thing to note is that the "Manager" in my slapd2.3 config (on gentoo) is dn: cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com" - whereas with my new setup (on Debian) it's defaulting to "cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com."

Again, distro issue. Nothing to do with the OpenLDAP project.

If possible I'd like to set up 2.4 to simply mirror the old directory using syncrepl and populate it in that way (if possible).

However, please tell me if you feel I'm wasting the list members' time
with this.

Nope, as I said, it will help with docs. We can't be expected to solve various distro packaging differences (gentoo and debian) though, and that will come down to your sysadmin skills.

You could easily start a thread on openldap-technical which is for more general chats related to OpenLDAP, but we don't really want to help with the differences between how distros package up OpenLDAP

--
Kind Regards,

Gavin Henry.
OpenLDAP Engineering Team.