cn=config

Hi,
When adding olcObjectClasses & olcAttributeTypes to my schema in cn=config, what are the requirements if any for the values? I see when I imported from slapd.conf, Openldap auto generated numbers in braces {0} {1} {2} {3} {4} with the proper syntax for the value being assigned.  Must I use the numbers in braces or can I just toss in the syntax correct string for my new attribute and/or objectclass?
Thanks