Re: make install makes bad binaries

Pieter Donche wrote:
I want to update my OpenLDAP to 2.3.39 on my Sun Solaris 10
[..]
but $ /usr/local/bin/ldapsearch
answers:
Killed

Note Solaris has sometimes Sun's LDAP tools/libs pre-installed. Are you sure that this particular executable is not the Sun command-line tool? Are you sure there's no library mix regarding libldap.so?

I noticed a big difference in size between:
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  root    457772 Apr 28 09:02 ./clients/tools/ldapsearch
and
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  root   1023664 Apr 28 09:27 /usr/local/bin/ldapsearch

Well, sizes always can differ because during 'make install' the tool strip is used (if not specified otherwise). But the size of the installed programs should be *smaller* than the one in the source directory.

What changed in make install between 2.3.32 and 2.3.39 and how to fix this?

Are you sure that you did the *very* same build? I vaguely remember I had to fix various env vars and linker options when building on Solaris.

Ciao, Michael.