Re: attribute size limit?

--On Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:43 AM +0200 Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org> wrote:

Hello

I don't find this in the documentation: is it possible to enforce a byte
limit on an attribute or an object?

jpegPhoto seems to be able to absorb huge amount of data. I had a bad
experience with users uploading huge pictures, causing LDAP queries in
some applications to timeout before getting a result, and later causing
a simultaneous crash of all LDAP replicas because of resource shortage.

Don't let them do that. Have them store a URL to a jpeg stored elsewhere. Or write an intervening app that enforces the sizelimit. But in general storing binary data like that in LDAP will cause problems.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer