Re: paged results vs socket send buffer size

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
Michael Ströder writes:
Is that really a problem? How often is "occasionally"?

Don't know, and don't know.

To me 2.5 MB does not sound so much to justify thinking about changing
the client app in such a network- and data-specific way.

OK, good. I've no experience with that kind of search result sizes
myself.

I can only speak of situations where I retrieve the whole directory (up to 300000 entries) for syncing. But this does not happen very often and my sync scripts call ldap_result() quite soon and process results as they come in.

getgrent() with nss_ldap. Others may come later.

Hmm, maybe that's what Volker Lendecke was talking about at LDAPcon 2007 regarding enumeration of groups. See his slides:

http://www.guug.de/veranstaltungen/ldapcon2007/slides/ldapcon_lendecke.pdf

Does it block other operations from different apps?

Don't know yet, that's what I was wondering about. Like I said I imagine it can, if the threads get blocked. We've just multiplied the server-side sizelimit with 200 to accomodate the change:-(

I guess user-specific limits won't help much.

Ciao, Michael.