Re: Weird SASL thing

Michael Ströder wrote:
Rick Stevens wrote:
I've created a fairly simple
shell script that creates an appropriate LDIF file to add users to my
database.  It then calls "ldapadd" to add the user:

    RES=`ldapadd -U root -w $LDAPPWD -f $OUTFILE`

However, when the script runs, the ldapadd is rejected with:

    ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Invalid credentials (49)

The EXACT SAME command (after the variables are expanded) run from the
command line works fine.

Could you please check that it's *exactly* the same line by adding a line with "echo $RES" as test output to your script?

I actually had the script put the command into a variable and echoed the variable. I cut-and-pasted the output into another xterm and it worked. That's why I'm confused.

Here's an example:

From the script:
Adding user to LDAP database...Command is
ldapadd -U root -w 'FuNkyP@sswd' -f /tmp/userdata.ldif
SASL/DIGEST-MD5 authentication started
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Invalid credentials (49)
additional info: SASL(-13): authentication failure: client response doesn't match what we generated

And if I cut-n-paste the command:
ldapadd -U root -w 'FuNkyP@sswd' -f /tmp/userdata.ldif
SASL/DIGEST-MD5 authentication started
SASL username: root
SASL SSF: 128
SASL installing layers
adding new entry "cn=testuser,ou=Group,dc=billing,dc=com"

adding new entry "uid=testuser,ou=People,dc=billing,dc=com"

Both script and command-line insertion executed as root.  You see my
dilemma.

- Rick Stevens, Unix Geek                          rps2@socal.rr.com -
-     Veni, Vidi, VISA:  I came, I saw, I did a little shopping.     -