Getting LDAP and SASL (digest-md5) to play nice

I'm sure I'm not the only person having this issue, but I absolutely
cannot seem to get SASL and LDAP to work.  I want SASL to authenticate
using the passwords in LDAP, but in the classic chicken-and-egg
scenario, you can't talk to LDAP without having SASL working first.

I have the authz-regexp stuff set up and the ldapwhoami seems to show me
as being converted from the "uid=username,cn=digest-md5,cn=auth" thing
to "uid=username,ou=people,dc=mydomain,dc=com", but ONLY if I've put a
user and password into the saslpasswd2 database.  If I don't do that,
I get invalid SASL credentials on the ldapwhoami.

I'm sure this is really farking simple, but I've googled the kapok out
this thing and gotten nowhere.

- Rick Stevens, Unix Geek                          rps2@socal.rr.com -
-    Reality: A crutch for those who can't handle science fiction    -