RE: Testing the state of replicates

Well, all you need is a simple search:

$ ldapsearch -xLLLZZ -s base -b "dc=rutgers,dc=edu" contextCSN
dn: dc=rutgers,dc=edu
contextCSN: 20070613170816Z#000000#00#000000

(no, that's not wedged :)

Try the python script that was in the URI I put in my previous email (if not the actual code, at least the theory). It sounds like you might be missing that this is out of band of slapd -- you don't need an overlay/module/backend or anything, just some basic over-the-network LDAP queries and arithmetic operations to figure out if they're desirable values.