Ldap crashes with "too many executing" errors

I am using Berkeleydb4.2 and openldap version 2.3.39  on a Centos 5 box
with a bdb backend

  The ldap server is used for backend authentication of users of imap
server using sasl. Even though we have a similar setup working in many
locations on a particular location I see ldap  server hanging ,
apparently anytime and cannot be reproduced
I kept ldap running in the debug mode I could see something like

--
connection_input: conn=5097 deferring operation: too many executing
ber_get_next
connection_input: conn=5097 deferring operation: too many executing
ber_get_next
----
When the ldap server hung.

I restart ldap and thing start working fine

How can I debug further

Thanks
Ram