Re: BDB upgrade from 2.3 to 2.4

Tony Earnshaw wrote:
Quanah Gibson-Mount skrev, on 20-02-2008 18:48:
--On February 20, 2008 8:33:38 AM +0100 Marcin Giedz<giedz@arise.pl>
wrote:
I'm preparing for an upgrade to 2.4 release but I've been looking for
some documents related to: if it's needed to "dump" and "restore" the
whole LDAP database (BDB actually) when changing openldap from 2.3 do
2.4? or perhaps it is irrelevant whether I use 2.3/2.4 BDB remains the
same?
You want to slapcat on 2.3, then slapadd on 2.4

AFAICR I did nothing other than reindex my 2.3 directory (db_recover shouldn't be necessary) after going through pangs of WTF?

Well, you were lucky. There are never any guarantees that DB formats will remain compatible between releases, which is why the supported and documented procedure is to use slapcat / slapadd.

It's true though that the DB format in 2.4 is largely the same as in 2.3, with the exception of indexing enhancements made in 2.4.7.
--
-- Howard Chu
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com