Re: translucent overlay to add local entries if they don't exist remotely?

Hi,

Coincidentally I needed to do the same recently, and the after some
back-and-forth the I reached a solution with "subordinate" glue:
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200802/msg00128.html
Basically, I used a "ldap" backend to connect to the "main" remote
server, and a local "bdb" backend that is also subordinate.

Note, however, that this in my system this works if you want to add
user and/or group entries, but it doesn't work so well for autofs
maps (though I suspect that is because how autofs performs a search
for maps of type "ldap").

Oren.

Andrew Cobaugh wrote:
Question regarding the translucent overlay.

Say I wanted to create some entries locally that don't have
corresponding remote entries. For example, if the base suffix is
dc=foo,dc=bar, and the remote ldap server has, let's call them user
entries at uid=myuser,dc=foo,dc=bar, and I wanted to locally create
ou=group,dc=foo,dc=bar and put my own group entries in that, is this
possible with translucent? Or maybe with a combination of overlays?

Ok, I know I can create local-only entries, but any search requests
for them fail. Is this what ITS#5283 is supposed to accomplish,
without going through the hassle of trying to build HEAD?