Re: OpenLDAP Servers and Availability

Thank you Buchan, Henry and Richton. Those messages were helpful.
I shall go through all your suggestions and get back to you guys.!!

Cheers,
Imran

On Feb 12, 2008 10:12 PM, Buchan Milne <bgmilne@staff.telkomsa.net> wrote:
On Tuesday 12 February 2008 09:28:12 Ishklight wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to set up openldap servers to be available all the time.

What aspect needs to be available all the time? Reads, or writes?

If reads need to be available all the time, make sure you have sufficient
slaves (taking into account network topology).

If you need HA for writes, then you either need to go with multi-master (you
may still need some cluster middleware or load-balancer to ensure that
clients always get to a live server), or you need to go with an HA cluster
with some kind of shared storage.

> Also, how would I test my requirement?

Once you have a technical requirement (and not just a wish), it should be easy
to write and implement a test case. In short, this is your job, I'm not going
to do it for you (unless you pay me). I doubt others on this list will
either.

> Is it possible to set up highly available openLDAP servers?

Yes, for over two years I have been running an OpenLDAP 2.3 HA cluster, with
(according to our monitoring system) 100% availability.

(I note that the two slaves in that deployment have availability of 100% and
99.99% ...).

Regards,
Buchan