Re: Upgrade to 2.3.40 -> failed index

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> slapadd always creates at least one log file that would not be removed by
> automatic removal.  If you had no log files when you were done, then
> something was done wrong.

There's not much to slapadd, I'm not sure what could have been done
wrong... I did use the -q option (otherwise it takes untractably long), but
there were no errors or interruptions and the database created worked fine
for 10 months or so.

I distinctly recall there were no log files last year, and I repeated the
same procedure Sunday again with no log files at the end of the slapadd.
The documentation says DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE will "automatically remove log
files that are no longer needed"; if the db is checkpointed at close
wouldn't that make the log file unneeded?

I ran 'strace slapadd -q < /tmp/test.ldif > /tmp/slapadd.out 2>&1'

There was no log file, and 'grep 'log\.' /tmp/slapadd.out' returned
nothing.

Running without the -q, the same grep shows

	open("/tmp/test/log.0000000001", O_RDWR|O_CREAT, 0600) = 4

Evidentally the -q option to slapadd bypasses logging?