RE: large ldap server recommendation

> Tony Earnshaw:
>
> [...]
>
> If you do install Buchan's rpms it's important to
> know that he separates it from Red Hat's by tacking '2.3' on to the end
> of everything, including the man pages. So slapd is called slapd2.3,
> ldapsearch is called ldapsearch2.3, /usr/bin/slapd_db_recover2.3, etc.
>
> Even the libraries (which are in the normal place) have different
> sonames, e.g. /usr/lib/libldap_r-2.3.so.0, /usr/lib/liblber-2.3.so.0

It's been my experience that while this is true on RH4, if you have RH5,
Buchan's RPMs do in fact replace the RH ones.  The only one you can install
along side is the 2.4 branch.  In fact, if you look at the files in the
referenced url:
http://staff.telkomsa.net/packages/rhel5Server/openldap/i386/ you will see
that only the 2.4 branch has anything tacked on, the 2.3 branch is named the
same as RH's packages and will replace them--but so far it works great, and
the upgrade was flawless (you have to rebuild the DB since it is using an
older [better] version of bdb), and yes the package RH ships is an
embarrassment.

-Ryan

----
Ryan Horrisberger               rhorrisb@ssc.wisc.edu