Re: large ldap server recommendation

ram skrev, on 31-01-2008 11:13:

  I am using ldap for authentication & addressbook  for a large
mailserver setup with around 300k users  ( this will grow to 500k )

The ldap server is a 8GB Ram box with RHEL-5 with
openldap-servers-2.3.27-5

I am confused what database type to use ldbm or bdb. Currently I have
the users on bdb with lot of problems. The ldap server dies all of a
sudden and I have to recover the data to get it started

my DB_CONFIG file is

------

# Note: most DB_CONFIG settings will take effect only upon rebuilding
# the DB environment.

set_cachesize   0      524288000        0
set_lg_regionmax        1048576
set_lg_max              10485760
set_lg_bsize            20485760
set_tmp_dir             /tmp

# Note: special DB_CONFIG flags are no longer needed for "quick" # slapadd(8) or slapindex(8) access (see their -q option).

set_flags DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE
set_flags DB_LOG_INMEMORY
set_flags DB_TXN_NOSYNC

This has been repeated to the point of boredom, nevertheless:

I'm a Red Hat admin and am running RHEL5.1 on a number of machines. RHEL5 is a dependable and stable operating system, as are by far most of the utilities it comprises. One RHEL5 offering to be avoided at all costs is openldap-*-2.3.27. Apart from anything else it is built with bdb 4.3.29 support. db4.3 has been condemned as unsuitable by the OpenLDAP developers. There are other reason too, but this is the most important.

I (and other Red Hat admins in the know) run Buchan Milne's alternative which comprise discrete, patched db-4.2.52 and can exist beside the RHEL5 offering. This is an utterly stable and dependable product; it is available at http://staff.telkomsa.net/packages/rhel5Server/openldap/.

You should always use bdb or hdb as DB, never ldbm.

Best,

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw