Re: cloning instances of openldap?

--On Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:13 PM -0500 Thomas Ledbetter <tledbett@revelstone.net> wrote:

Thanks for all the feedback on this guys.

This would generally indicate that you've failed to properly tune
DB_CONFIG.

Completely possible! :) I worked through the stuff in the openldap faq-a-matic in the past, but it was complicated, and we've added alot of users since that time.

 Is there a better tuning guide out there? One that relates more to the
actual data structures being used?

There's the FAQ entry at:

<http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?_highlightWords=db_config&file=1075>

but it looks like it needs some updating.  Here's the general overview:

The amount of cachesize to set in the DB_CONFIG file for loading via slapadd should, if at all possible, be the size of "du -c -h *.bdb" in the data directory. This is how much space your DB will take while loading via slapadd.

Other things you can do to decrease the amount of time loading data takes is to use the -q flag when bulk loading, and to set the tool-threads parameter in slapd.conf to be equal to the number of real cores (i.e., no hyper-threading) your system has.

Since I don't know the specifics of your indexing, it's hard to know exactly how long it should take to load your DB, but if the size of *.bdb is > than the 4GB of memory on your system, it is time to upgrade your systems RAM. You also don't say whether you are running a 32 or 64-bit kernel, and that's vital information to have.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer