Re: OpenLDAP system architecture?

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
RAM is probably the most important, but you also will want fast disks, proper partitioning of the logs separate from the database and logs, and I recommend a non-journaling filesystem. 2 or more cores is also useful. Unfortunately I don't really see enough information from your end (yet) to really say much beyond that.
A non-journaling filesystem? Really? Can you explain why you would make that performance trade-off?

Keep in mind that there are two journaling methodologies that are prevalent:
1: meta-data only journaling (most common)
2: full-block journaling, or data journaling (available in several filesystems, but usually defaulted OFF)

I can understand being reticent about #2 if (and only if) you are in a high-write scenario, which doesn't seem to be clear from the original post.. if the LDAP server is a high-read, low-write server (as most are) then either type of journaling should be of negligible performance impact.

Even in a high-write scenario, method #1 (meta-data only) journaling should be of negligible impact.

Since the original poster mentions high end hardware, I'm going to assume Solaris is the platform.. If so, he'll likely be choosing between either UFS or ZFS..

In the case of UFS, logging (meta-data only journaling) is on by default in Solaris 10. Performance impact here should be negligible, even in a high-write scenario.

In the case of ZFS, logging is mandatory and cannot be disabled or circumvented. This is due to the nature of the filesystem -- it employs a copy-on-write strategy for ALL blocks, all of the time. This is the equivelant to full-block journaling, and I'm not sure how much it would impact the performance of a high-write scenario. I haven't used ZFS much in the real world yet.

If we're on Linux, then our choice of filesystem is quite a bit more varied, but most of the logging filesystem choices on Linux have both meta-data only and full-block journaling options, with meta-data only being the default.

Let me know if I'm missing something here -- I'm not intimately familiar with bdb's storage mechanisms.. I suppose if it created and deleted a small file per transaction or something similar, then you MAY see a degredation from meta-data only journaling. As a system administrator though, I'd be inclined to find performance elsewhere... pry the journaling filesystem out of my cold dead fingers ;-)

Cheers,

Joseph Dickson    --    Sr. UNIX Admin
joseph.dickson@meritain.com | 800.748.0003 ext 2151