Re: cloning instances of openldap?

Thomas-

Is it safe to use a 'clone' of an openldap servers's database to rebuild another server in a cluster?

In my tests, I followed a procedure where I shut 2 servers down, copied the backend database from one to the other, and restarted and everything seems to indicate that the 'cloned' server is valid. Replication works.. Adds/deletes work.. etc..

Is there any danger in using this procedure? Is there anything 'instance specific' that is stored in the directory that could cause an issue?

Ive found that even using slapadd's 'quick' flag it can still take 4 hours to import an LDIF, and if I can rely on this procedure to rebuild an LDAP read server in a crisis, I'd like to continue using it.

While I'm sure someone else will say that it's not advisable, I've cloned the disc of a Solaris 10 (x86-64) machine
running OpenLDAP and haven't ran into any issues with it yet. (Knocking on wood)

However- OpenLDAP was not running at the time.

Best of luck-
-chris