Re: Problems using db4-utils on backend database files

Buchan Milne wrote:
On Thursday 10 January 2008 11:54:54 tamarin p wrote:
As far as program  versions go, I'm not very proficient with *NIX, so I've
used yum installs for everything rather than attempt to compile things
myself. IHere are the  versions:
- db4-utils-4.3.29-9.fc6 (db_stat etc)
- openldap-servers-2.3.27-8
- openldap-2.3.27-8

I'm obviously going wrong somewhere, but where?

$ rpm -ql openldap-servers|grep db_

You should see a slapd_db_recover, slapd_db_stat etc., the utils for the
internal copy of db-4.3 shipped in the RHEL5 packages of OpenLDAP.

However, running OpenLDAP on db4.3 is not recommended ...

It's quite obvious from the BerkeleyDB error messages:

>> tamarin# db_stat -m
>> db_stat: Program version 4.3 doesn't match environment version
>> db_stat: DB_ENV->open: DB_VERSION_MISMATCH: Database environment version
>> mismatch
tamarin# db_recover
db_recover: Program version 4.3 doesn't match environment version
db_recover: Unacceptable log file log.0000000001: unsupported log version
11 db_recover: Invalid log file: log.0000000001: Invalid argument
db_recover: PANIC: Invalid argument
db_recover: PANIC: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
db_recover: DB_ENV->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database
recovery

that OpenLDAP wasn't using BDB 4.3 here. Naturally attempting to use the 4.3 db_stat and other utilities would also fail. Most likely it was using something older than 4.3, otherwise it wouldn't have complained about the unsupported log file version.

--
  -- Howard Chu