slap* tools require id2entry.bdb to run ?

Is it a requirement for the id2entry.bdb file to exist prior to any slap* tools successfully running or would this be a bug?

OpenLDAP 2.4.7
Berkley-DB 4.6
CentOS 5

I get a Segmentation Fault every time I run slaptest or slapindex if I have not yet started slapd (to prompt initial creation of id2entry.bdb in my data directory).

Example:

# /etc/init.d/ldap stop
# rm -rf /var/lib/openldap-data/*
# rm -rf /etc/openldap/slapd.d && mkdir /etc/openldap/slapd.d

...(modify slapd.conf)...

# slaptest -f /etc/openldap/slapd.conf -F /etc/openldap/slapd.d

Seg Faults every time. I even get a seg fault if I simply run the following:

# slaptest -f /etc/openldap/slapd.conf

(Possibly useless gdb output http://ditree.com/work/gdb.ol2.4.7.out )

TIA,
--