Re: OpenLDAP 2.4.7 Bug?

On Dec 27, 2007, at 9:16 PM, Howard Chu wrote:
So at some point, this was intended to be legal.

Or I just made the change to allow what RFC 4515 allows, without regard to whether allowing it made any sense.

I think it makes no sense for (foo=**) to be valid when (foo:substringsRule:=\2A\2A), substringsRule being foo's substrings rule, is invalid. It also makes no sense to allow empty any substrings but not allow empty initial and final substrings. A substring is a substring is a substring.

I also note that CN is of syntax directoryString, so (cn=**), if a valid assertion, might not evaluate to true for all (or any) values of CN, as one might expect it would.

-- Kurt