Re: Sync Replication via TLS/SSL - get bind err

RUMI Szabolcs wrote:
I'm using certificates I've generated since many years with a lot of
software having SSL support like Apache, Cyrus IMAP, Postfix, OpenVPN,
etc. and all of these are working seamlessly, with the exception of
OpenLDAP. It's not only me who's struggling, just Google around if
you don't believe me... Even the Gentoo Linux ebuild for OpenLDAP
suggests that I have to use "TLS_REQCERT never" with self-signed
certificates or else TLS won't work. And they're right.

No, they're wrong. Likewise, most of the other software you've had "working seamlessly" is broken but most people were too ignorant of best practices to realize it. Now that malware is so common on the web, newer browsers like Firefox/Mozilla are finally tightening their own validity checks on certificates as well, and refusing to connect to sites with unrecognized certs. I.e., they're finally beginning to do what they were supposed to do all along, and what OpenLDAP has always done.

To a proper self-signed certificate OpenLDAP simply says "self-signed
certificate in certificate chain" or something like that and TLS/SSL
handshake fails with an error.

The OpenLDAP documentation tells you how to properly configure certificates. Ignore it and you get errors. Follow it and it works securely.
--
-- Howard Chu
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com