Help Needed with mirrormode configuration in 2.4.6

Hi,
I?m using OpenLDAP 2.4.6 and trying to use the mirrormode and syncrepl.
My setup has 2 LDAP nodes, one as master and other as slave through a VIP.
When the master goes down, the slave will become master and vice-versa.
At any point to keep both the LDAP in sync I want to use mirror mode and syncrepl and I?m using the following conf file.

database        bdb
directory       $MMAIL_VAR_DIR/ldap/ipu-mail-ldap
suffix          "o=mereonmail"
rootdn          "cn=admin,o=mereonmail"
rootpw          secret
index           objectClass,entryCSN,entryUUID pres,eq
index           mail,cn      eq,sub

overlay syncprov
syncprov-checkpoint 100 10
syncprov-sessionlog 100

syncrepl      rid=1
        provider=ldap://${MMAIL_LDAP_PEER_HOSTNAME}:$MMAIL_LDAP_PORT
        bindmethod=simple
        binddn="cn=admin,o=mereonmail"
        credentials=ipunity
        filter="(objectClass=*)"
        searchbase="o=mereonmail"
        schemachecking=on
        type=refreshAndPersist
        interval=00:00:00:01
        retry="60 +"

mirrormode on

But with the above conf file an the both the nodes ( rid = 2  on the other node2), the replication does not seem to work.
Suppose, node1 (master) has 2 add entires, these entries does not come in the slave. Also when I restart the slave, the entries in the master LDAP is deleted.
Please let me know the correct conf  for Mirrormode and sync repl. Also would like to know if OpenLDAP 2.4.6 supports mirrormode?
IThanks in advance for your help.
Savithri