When to delete client content during RFC4533 synchronization?

Hello,

I am writing a RFC4533 client implementation based on JLDAP. I have a
question on how to interpret the rfc as a client, and secondly how the
OpenLDAP server interprets it.

My question is: how can the client determine that it must delete content
at the end of the refresh stage, when a refreshAndPersist is requested
with an initial cookie?

The problem is that I can not defer from the rfc how I can differentiate
between a server that sends an initial content poll and a server that
sends a content update poll. The RFC specifies that the server may choose
to ignore the initial cookie and the reloadHint flag, so either poll mode
may be choosen by the server.
In the case of a refreshOnly the RFC is clear: when refreshDeletes of
syncDoneValue is FALSE, content that is not added, changed, or indicated
as present must be deleted from the client copy (section 1.3.1 paragraph
8).
However, in the case of a refreshAndPersist, there is no similar flag in
the SyncInfoMessage that ends the refresh stage. SyncInfoMessage does have
values named refreshDelete and refreshDeletes, but these are used for
other purposes (see section 3.4.1 and section 3.3.2 paragraph 7 and 9).

Am I missing something?

What is the behavior of the OpenLDAP server in this matter? Does it ever
ignore the reloadHint of the sync request control?

Regards,
    Erik.

-- Erik van Oosten http://2008.rubyenrails.nl/ http://www.day-to-day-stuff.blogspot.com/